Location: Corlett Drive &, Rudd Rd, Illovo, Sandton, 2196
The Bidvest Wanderers Stadium is a stadium situated just south of Sandton in Illovo. Test, One Day and First class cricket matches are played here. It is also the home ground for the Highveld Lions, formerly known as Gauteng (Transvaal).
The stadium has a seating capacity of 34,000 and is nicknamed ‘The Bullring’ because of its design and intimidating atmosphere. High stands surround most of the field, although there is a small grassed area that is very popular with spectators.
In fact, the Wanderers is in the New Wanderers. The Old Wanderers first hosted test cricket in 1896, when South Africa faced England and George Lohmann claimed 9 for 28 in South Africa’s first innings to help the English to a convincing victory.
Since South Africa’s return to International cricket in 1991, the Wanderers Stadium has undergone major changes. In 1996, the 30m floodlight masts were replaced by five new masts, each 65m high. The Bidvest Wanderers Stadium has since become one of the best stadiums in the world for night cricket.